Thursday, December 10, 2009

Fast Forward to today - Part III

Once back from hospital, luckily my in-laws had come to stay with us for a bit. So I got pampered, fed lots of protein supplements and focused on healing myself. The way was to look forward. Grief episodes were controlled and restricted to the bathroom. I had told my Gynaes about my gallstones, they both said it would have to come out before I tried again, but there was no emergency. I would need 6 weeks at least to heal after my delivery.

The edema troubled me for a couple of weeks and then got better. My haemoglobin levels rose a bit though it would take a while to get back to normal. I was having lochia bleeding but my docs said it was ok and would take a while to get better. It was gradually reducing. It seemed I was on my way to recovery. My in-laws left on 1st Dec, I was feeling much much better. Though my hubby and I hadn't discussed our loss yet, finally one night we talked about it and let the grief flow. It wouldn't go away, but we had each other. Right now, we'd focus on me getting better, and then plan a nice vacation in a few months once I was all clear. We'd see about trying again, but it was not on the cards for now...not at least for a year or so. Sadder, but closer than ever we were trying to pick up the threads of our life. His work was picking up, I was focusing doing everything to heal myself. One night we went to our favorite bookstore, my first outing not involving a medical institution in almost 8 months. Just for an hour, tiring, but fun. A symbol of life getting back on track. Our 7th anniversary was coming up on Dec 7th and my birthday was on Dec 17th. There were things to look forward to.

On the night of Dec 4th, after my nightly glass of milk and while watching tv, I suddenly doubled over with pain. I thought it was something I had eaten. I called my mom who was having dinner with some friends, one of whom happened to be a gastroenterologist. He suggested a painkiller injection for now, and a blood test and ultrasound for the next day, given my gallstone history. I wasn't keen on more injections plus the pain was lessening by then, so I just took an antacid. The pain continued till early morning while I tried to sleep on and off. I was much better in the morning, just with a dull ache and tenderness. We went for the diagnostic tests.

The ultrasound showed my gallbladder was inflamed (wonderful >.<) but other organs seemed fine. My gastro doc (mom's friend) suggested we go with the blood tests and then call him at night for further instructions. So we did that. At night, in a three way conference with my doc, mom and us; the doc told us the blood tests were out of range and I would definitely need to get admitted into hospital tomorrow. He diagnosed it as cholecystitis and pancreatitis. The best thing would be rest my pancreas, stop oral food and get onto an IV fluids as soon as possible. Since the pain had almost gone, I said I would come in the next day. Back into hospital...lovely!

The next day I got admitted, went on IV antibiotics and fluids. My blood tests showed my system was settling down, so they kept me under observation. We spent my anniversary in hospital, me on IV. Sadly, IV and I don't get along. My hands had not yet healed from my earlier hospital visits. We got an anaesthetist to look for a good site and put the needle in. My first cannula collapsed within a day. The second one lasted a day longer. By my third afternoon, my second site was swelling, they couldn't take blood samples without bruising and not getting enough blood, both IV sites were swollen and thrombofied, I was fed up. It was Tuesday. Till then, I had been hoping to all get my gallbladder removed in the same admission. I knew it was a big decision, but my gynae's had said I'd need to get it treated before I tried again, I had already had one painful gallstone attack with mild pancreatitis...I just wanted to get it done as soon as possible. I knew my lifestyle and diet would need a major overhaul. But it would have to be done, better now and give me time to adjust. Better now, when I was already on IV! My gastro doc said if my blood work was ok, we could schedule it for Wednesday, even though normally they like to wait for a 7-14 days. I was fine with doing it now. Just get me out of the hospital spiral!!!!

But tuesday, my second IV collapsed. I refused to get a third one in till we knew for sure about the surgery. My ultrasound showed that there was still some inflammation in my gallbladder. My blood reports showed a coming down to normal though not all were within normal range yet. My gynae (who consults in the same hospital) wasn't too keen on my going back into surgery so soon after delivery. 6 weeks was her prescription. Then the surgeon arrived. He too didn't want to go for the surgery immediately, but he wasn't keen on waiting more than 7-14 days post the attack. Since my IV was already out, I had lesser issues with going back home and coming back for surgery later. My biggest concern was the intervening 2 weeks, what if I got another attack? Attacks always seem to happen in the middle of the night when no one is easily accessible. What would I eat meantime? In the meantime, my lochia bleeding has increased, more than it ever was, since I have been in the hospital. At first I got worried (still am a little concerned), but my gynae said its expected upto 6 weeks post delivery. Problem is 3 weeks are over, the bleeding was going down, it was never very heavy to begin with. But now its heavier than ever, no signs of letting up...and given how everything just seems to be going wrong with me right now, I'm a bit concerned.

Anyway, under the combined advice of my gastro doc, gynae doc and lapro surgeon (and influence of IV scarred arms) we finally decided that we would postpone the surgery for now as the wisest course of action, track my enzymes till then became normal, my gallbladder inflammation till it subsided and then go for surgery. Not earlier than a week from now, not later than end of December.

So this is where I am today, on a soft, fat-free diet, antibiotics (oral thank god), nursing scarred hands/arms and researching what I can and cannot eat on the internet. Next course of action, contact my physician on Monday for instructions based on how I am feeling then, blood tests probably on Tuesday and take it from there.

And that brings me to where I am today. Its been a crazy few months. Dear God, I could really really do with a break now!

No comments:

Post a Comment